The Yorkshire Terrier comes from the same area as the Airedale and made his first appearance around 1850. The old Black and Tan Terrier was the basis of the Yorkshire Terrier and with crosses probably to the Skye and Maltese this new Toy breed was created. He acquired his name in 1870 and has since become immensely popular. As a terrier he was a working dog, but once he became smaller and glamorous he appealed to many as a decorative house dog.
However, there is nothing of the pampered Toy about the Yorkie; his terrier instincts remain strong and he considers himself a match for anyone and will quite happily challenge a dog infinitely larger than himself. Intelligent and alert his temperament is good and he enjoys playing with the family and a good walk.
The glamorous appearance of the showdog is not going to be achieved at home; the dogs you see standing on their little podiums in the ring have an infinite amount of time spent on their coats. When not being shown the coat is kept oiled and in wraps to preserve it from harm, not a practical proposition for a pet; many owners have them clipped and a good groomer can produce a very smart result.
He is usually about 9" in height and weighs up to 3.1kg, although as with many Toys many dogs who find their way into pet homes are larger. Bitches, as with many Toy breeds are generally larger than the dogs. They are a single colour, a dark steel blue with a rich bright tan; it is a coat that should really glow.
A lovely little dog who has no idea how small he is, they make a wonderful pet, particularly if they are allowed to be the terrier they know they are.
Click here to read the Yorkshire Terrier Breed Standard.
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Clubs
- LINCOLN & HUMBERSIDE YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB
- CHESHIRE & NORTH WALES YORKSHIRE TERRIER SOC. Sec. Mrs J. Milner. Tel N: 0151 3273376
- MIDLAND YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB. Sec. Mrs S Graham. Tel No: 01452 611282
- NORTHERN COUNTIES YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB. Sec. Ms Watson. Tel No: 01226 781373
- SOUTH WESTERN YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB. Sec. Mrs J Drake. Tel No: 0117 9601592
- ULSTER YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB. Sec. Mr S Larkham. Tel No: 02893 378302
- YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB. Sec. Mrs P E Mitchell. Tel No: 01235 833171
- YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB OF SCOTLAND. Sec. Ms Burns. Tel No: 01592 759277
- YORKSHIRE TERRIER CLUB OF SOUTH WALES. Sec. Mr T M Evans. Tel No: 01443 431052
- The British Pet and Specialist Yorkshire Terrier Society
- THE BRITISH PET & SPECIALIST YORKSHIRE TERRIER SOCIETY Sec. Deborah Mallender, Tel No: 01782 752023 Email
Yorkshire Terrier Rescue and Rehoming
- Lincoln and Humberside Yorkshire Terrier Club Rescue
Mrs E A Stuart 01773 768071 or 07970 475157
- Southern Yorkie Rehoming
Mrs Depree 01903 754690
- Yorkshire Terrier Club of Scotland Rescue
Mr James Cadger 01450 376137
- Yorkshire Terrier Club Rescue
Mrs B Evans (Co-ordinator) 01234 262515
- Yorkshire Terrier Rescue
Mr T & Mrs W Souter Cornwall 01752 785722
Puppies and dog breeders have moved to our newly re-designed Puppyfinder website where we have full page advertisements for puppies and the opportunity for breeders to have their own profile pages and blog. No designer breeds or puppy farmers, just breeders who care about their dogs as much as you do.
Ethical breeders are invited to register their kennel on Puppyfinder for just £10pa. This allows you to list litters, litters planned and stud dogs