The Pekingese is a true aristocrat amongst dogs whose ancestry can be traced back to the Tang dynasty who ruled China in the period AD 618 to 907. They were held in such high esteem that only the Imperial family and the families of their courtiers were allowed to own them. Evidently the Pekingese were trained to perform ceremonial functions, such as carrying the hem of the Emperor's robes and barking to announce his arrival. He was also known as the Sleeve dog and was used as a comforter in cold weather. The Pekingese Sleeve Dog is smaller types of the breed. Hundreds of Pekingese lived in the Imperial Court and theft of one would result in execution.
When the Summer Palace was stormed by English and French troops in 1860 all the dogs except for four belonging to the Emperor's aunt were killed to prevent them falling into foreign hands. These four Pekingese were taken back to England and a dog was given to Queen Victoria by the commanding officer. These dogs, together with others obtained more conventionally formed the basis of the breeding stock in the UK. Breed Standards for the Pekingese were drawn up in the USA in 1909 and a year later in the UK.
Although the Pekingese is a thoroughly dignified dog, when the mood takes him he can be very playful and mischievous. He is very courageous too and will guard his possessions fiercely. The Pekingese should not exceed 5½kg - the bitches being slightly larger than the dogs and generally up to 9" in height. They should look small but have plenty of bone and feel heavy for their size. Not one for long country walks, he can be quite energetic when the mood takes him. Perhaps not really a family dog he is nonetheless a charming companion who will give much pleasure.
Click here to read the Pekingese Breed Standard.
Pekingese Breed Clubs
- BRITISH PEKINGESE CLUB
- PEKINGESE CLUB
- RED ROSE PEKINGESE CLUB
- VENTURA PEKINGESE CLUB
- FORTH & TAY PEKINGESE CLUB. Sec. Mr J Mathew. Tel No: 01324 486351
- INVICTA PEKINGESE CLUB. Sec. Mr Fletcher. Tel No: 01902 345796
- NORTH OF ENGLAND PEKINGESE CLUB. Sec. Miss M Mallows. Tel No: 0191 536 3323
- NORTH OF IRELAND PEKINGESE CLUB. Sec. Mr Campbell - 02827 665693
- NORTH OF SCOTLAND PEKINGESE CLUB. Sec. Mrs D Gunn. Tel No: 01307 818296
- PEKIN PALACE DOG ASSOC. Sec. Mr J E Goodall 01844 339420
- PEKINGESE REFORM ASSOC. Sec. Miss V Williams. Tel No: 01483 233377
- PEKINGESE SLEEVE DOG CLUB. Sec. Mrs A Tompkins. Tel No: 01203 676582
- SCOTTISH PEKINGESE ASSOC. Sec. Mr G A W Baxter. Tel No: 01383 724368
- SOUTH WALES PEKINGESE ASSOC. Sec. Mr G Thomas. Tel No: 01495 750559
Pekingese Rescue and Rehoming
Fieldhouse Pekingese Rescue, Rehoming and Welfare
Mrs Pearl Brown 01780 4503567
Mrs M Walford 01206 795533
Miss W Middleton 01224 632465
Mrs D Gunn 01307 818296
South Wales and Monmouth Pekingese Rescue
Miss J A Bradley 01594 543412
If you are looking for a puppy contact the Breed Clubs and the Breeders listed and visit the puppyfinder website where there is a great deal of information on hereditary conditions. If you are a Breeder and wish to advertise your puppies puppyfinder is an excellent showcase.