Obviously from Wales, the predecessor of the current Corgi is believed to arrived from the Low Countries with Flemish Weavers around 1100, though some believed he was an even earlier arrival. Until 1934 Cardigan and Pembroke Corgis were regarded as interchangeable but since the breeds were separated they have developed specific characteristics.
The Pembroke Corgi was bred to be a cattle herder which required the use of nipping at the animals heels to assert his dominance and to look at him is to see a sturdy, active little dog capable of doing a hard day's work. They remain a busy dog and enjoy plenty of exercise but are quite accommodating to whatever the family's circumstances, and the Pembroke Corgi can content himself with a less active life. The coat is of medium length and with a dense undercoat stands off to some extent; colours, which can be self (single colour) or with white markings are red, sable, fawn and black and tan. He should be no more than 12" at the shoulder and at up to 11kg he is solidly built.
As with all breeds it is as well to check for temperament to avoid any tendency to nipping, but they make a good family dog who will join in with all the activities.
Click to read the Welsh Corgi (Pembroke) Breed Standard.
Pembroke Corgi Breed Clubs
- CARDIGAN WELSH CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Mrs K Kingston. Tel No: 01978 757084
- DEVON & CORNWALL WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs May. Tel No: 01209 210582
- EASTERN COUNTIES WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Miss Millar. Tel No: 01502 740274
- MIDLAND WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs A Hughes. Tel No: 01926 843952
- NORTHERN COUNTIES WELSH CORGI SOCIETY. Sec. Mrs J M Littlefair. Tel No: 01642 710356
- PENNINE WELSH CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Miss T J Irving. Tel No: 01204 793631
- SOUTH EAST CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Mr Simpson Tel No: 01483 282678
- SOUTH WALES CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs J Tonkyn. Tel No: 01453 545123
- WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs Hughes. Tel No: 01437 762292
- WELSH CORGI CLUB OF CAMBRIA. Sec. Mrs K Hewitt. Tel No: 01788 812156
- WELSH CORGI CLUB OF ULSTER. Mr Matthews. Tel No: 02892 611285
- WELSH CORGI LEAGUE (PEMBROKES ONLY)
- WEST OF ENGLAND CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Mrs Coulson. Tel No: 01980 653482
- YORKSHIRE WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs Ellwood. Tel No: 01723 8908
Pembroke Corgi Rescue and Rehoming
Contact Breed Rescue. They should be able to give you information about dogs requiring homes and procedures for re-homing; if you are in the unfortunate position of having to re-home your own dog, please go through breed rescue. They will not be judgmental and are best able to find the right permanent home for him.
Welsh Corgi Rescue Service
Mrs F S Baker Sec/Co-ordinator 01892 723401
Mr C Locksmith Suffolk 01473 624966
Mrs M M Hope East Sussex 01273 550902
Mrs E Rhodie Scotland 01334 828517
Mr & Mrs Shayers Middx 01895 233900
Miss C Titchen Dorset 01202 428868
Mrs F Toman Co Armagh 01762324182
Mr R Wood 01277 211016