|The Cardigan and Pembroke Corgis share a common ancestry, believed to be introduced from the Low Countries by Flemish Weavers around 1100, though some claim an earlier arrival. The Cardigan is not such a familiar sight as the Royals favourite though the two breeds were no separated until 1934. However, following their division into two discrete breeds they developed along distinct lines.
The most obvious difference is the Cardigan's tail which looks heavy and is carried low. He has been called the Yard Dog because the length from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail is the measurement for a Welsh yard. in addition the Cardigan is allowed any colouring as long as white does not predominate. His head is less foxy with larger, more bat-like ears, and altogether he looks less alert and active than the Pembroke.
The temperament of the Cardigan Corgi is a more laid-back one, certainly. He takes life more easily than his cousin though is perfectly capable of being energetic and keen when interested. Not nearly as popular as his Pembroke cousin, he is an easy and accommodating housedog. Incidentally, the the name "Corgi" derives from the Celtic word for "dog".
Click to read the Welsh Corgi (Cardigan) Breed Standard.
Cardigan Corgi Breed Clubs
- CARDIGAN WELSH CORGI ASSOC
- DEVON & CORNWALL WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs May. Tel No: 01209 210582
- EASTERN COUNTIES WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Miss Miller. Tel No: 01502 740274
- MIDLAND WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs A Hughes. Tel No: 01926 843952
- NORTHERN COUNTIES WELSH CORGI SOCIETY. Sec. Mrs J M Littlefair. Tel No: 01642 710356
- PENNINE WELSH CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Miss T J Irving. Tel No: 01204 793631
- SOUTH EAST CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Mr Simpson. Tel No: 01483 282678
- SOUTH WALES CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs J Tonkyn. Tel No: 01453 545123
- WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs Hughes. Tel No: 01437 762292
- WELSH CORGI CLUB OF CAMBRIA. Sec. Mrs K Hewitt. Tel No: 01788 812156
- WELSH CORGI CLUB OF ULSTER. Sec. Mr M Collins. Tel No: 01762 832367
- WEST OF ENGLAND CORGI ASSOC. Sec. Mrs Coulson. Tel No: 01980 653482
- YORKSHIRE WELSH CORGI CLUB. Sec. Mrs Ellwood. Tel No: 01723 890809
Cardigan Corgi Rescue and Rehoming
Contact a Breed Club. They should be able to give you information about dogs requiring homes and procedures for re-homing; if you are in the unfortunate position of having to re-home your own Corgi, please go through breed rescue. They will not be judgmental and are best able to find the right permanent home for your dog.
Puppies and dog breeders have moved to our newly re-designed Puppyfinder website where we have full page advertisements for puppies and the opportunity for breeders to have their own profile pages and blog. No designer breeds or puppy farmers, just breeders who care about their dogs as much as you do.
Ethical breeders are invited to register their kennel on Puppyfinder for just £10pa. This allows you to list litters, litters planned and stud dogs